Thursday, May 10, 2012

Khaled Housseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns

A society has no chance of success if its women are uneducated.

This compelled me because a man wrote it for starters, and because I feel it's a very wise thing to say. It's one of those lines that really gets a person thinking. And with this one, I started to think of female history. I went as far back as I had knowledge about, and thought about how--for the most part--women have been chained down in societies. I find it particularly interesting how our world has evolved into this technological power house; how medical science has saved humans from conditions that no one would have survived even 50 years ago; how education has become available to anyone; how charity organizations have become common place; how class distinction no longer--for the  most part--determines the kind of life a person can lead; etc. And all of this has happened in the last hundred years; I don't think it's a coincidence that this new evolution started to pick up speed around the time women began fighting for their rights--when women won their rights. So, I believe the quote is truer than we might think at first. 

Imitation: Women make everything better, period. 

In my imitation I got more to the point and was bolder in the point I made. It was also just a more comical play off the original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment