Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Horrified

"The first danger is an obvious one: the child opts out of the whole procedure and reads comics or nothing." - John Rowe Townsend in an essay entitled "Didacticism in Modern Dress"

This sentence is officially where I stopped paying attention to the essay. He's discussing the use of didactic writing in today's writing and in his own sentence calls comics, which he clearly dismisses as writing, as not reading. The style is oxymoron-ic and discredits his position. Although he does have good grammar and uses punctuation quite well I am astounded at his philosophy. I think there is value though because he states an opinion that is widely held by many adults and is rubbed off on many kids. It is succinct and makes the point but it is aimed at a particular readership and is rather close-minded. Since I could not finish the essay after this point I was clearly not the reader he was aiming for and he made sure to turn me away early on in the essay saving me countless minutes of frustrated reading because he was beating around the bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment