Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Stop Talking and Drink

Jerome Valcke, the FIFA Secretary General (whatever that means), tried to sway lawmakers to change an almost decade-old ban on selling alcohol in stadiums by saying, "We're not talking about alcohol, we're talking about beer." He said, I read, 'it isn't about getting drunk, it is about me getting a bonus from Budweiser, a massive World Cup sponsor, when I convince legislators to allow beer sale, i.e. Bud Light and Bud Light Lime sale. And if not some cash-monies from the Banquet Beer Corporation, from my bosses at FIFA then, since they undoubtedly will get massive quantities of dollar-sign and many zeroes indeed'. It amazes me the fallacious logic that people use to try and make an argument. Just listen as Valcke pitches his idea with a minute twist of semantics that makes beer actually sound harmless compared to booze. I am curious, who is we? Valcke, FIFA, Budweiser? I like the sentence because of its absurdity, its vagueness. I want to have a beer with Jerome, maybe in 2014, at the World Cup. We can responsibly enjoy a Bud Light or two, while we gaff at the barbarians that smuggled vodka into the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment