Sunday, February 5, 2012

I Am Now a Cuckold.

The word "cuckold" is a word you hear a lot in Shakespeare. It's used to describe someone, usually a man, who has been cheated on by their partner. My example today comes from a song by an Australian comedy band called Tripod. The song was written due to a sense of disillusionment with modern pop music lyric writing. Why fall back on the old, standard rhymes when the English language is full of words with expressive potential?

"I am now a cuckold,
She cuckolded me.
When your love is loving someone else,
A cuckold will you be.
This cuckoldation, has cuckoldafied me,
And cuckoldentilly I'm cuckoldised by her cuckoldity.
Cuckoldish me, life has taken on a cuckoldastic twist,
I should have seen, when I looked at her,
She was a cuckoldist."

(To listen to the full song on YouTube, follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRUh7sb4c-M)

The reason I love this song is for its use of suffixes for comedic effect (they also have an excellent song on the phenomenon of prefixes that once removed, leave behind words that don't actually exist in the English language).

I challenge everyone to come up with alternate imitations, because it's hard! I've been thinking about this all week long, and I finally came up with this:

I am now an antick.
He antick-quated me.
When your King is raving in the rain,
An antick will you be.
This antickation, has antickified me,
And antickdentally, I'm antickised by his antickity.
Antickish me, life has taken on an antickastic twist,
I should have seen, when I looked at him,
He was an antickist.

antick (n): in Elizabethan England, a fool, clown, or buffoon.

The reference in the middle there is to the famous scene in Shakespeare's King Lear when the titular monarch is losing his mind, naked, outside in a storm, with his poor Fool trying to get him back inside.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! A few of you inventions are a bit much but, hey, in the interest of linguistic open-mindedness, do it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! That was the best I could come up with after a week of thinking about it. It's really hard to think of a specific type of word that would fit the pattern and have the same effect. I'm going to try to make my goal by the end of the semester to come up with something better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have decided to try and find some good old chiasmus and isocolon and what have you...

    I'm a cuckold,
    She cuckolded me.
    When your love loves someone else,
    You're a cuckold.

    I don't know what I really want to find or even what I see, but there is some isocolon for sure. Running verb style? No chiasmus though...

    And the rest of this thing just gets to be too much for my brain.

    ReplyDelete