Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Passage From Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart

Here is a passage from Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart. This is one of my favorite passages because his use of verbs and adjectives really draws the readers into the nervousness of the murder and gives the reader the same nervous feeling as the murder describes his every move in the attack of the old man.

"It was the beating of the old man's heart. It increased my fury, as the beating of a drum stimulates the soldier into courage. But even yet I refrained and kept still. I scarcely breathed. I held the lantern motionless. I tried how steadily I could maintain the ray upon the eye. Meantime the hellish tattoo of the heart increased. It grew quicker and quicker, and louder and louder every instant. The old man't terror must have been extreme! It grew louder, I say, louder every moment!-do you mark me well? I have told you that I am nervous: so I am."

In this passage, Poe's use of verb style captures the readers attention and draws them into the eerie feeling that takes place within the murder's plan. His verbs such as beating, scarcely breathed, motionless, hellish tattoo, quicker, louder, and terror are unique and are used to draw the reader into the story. Poe also uses the periodic style in this passage and throughout his whole short story to build the intensity and thrill in the murdering of the old man. The characters thoughts and plan is short and to the point. Poe does not write out the     character's whole thinking process in advance. Rather he writes the feelings and plan of the character as it is happening so that the reader's interest will climax along with the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment