Sunday, March 11, 2012

Something Blue by Emily Giffin

This is a passage from Emily Giffin's Something Blue, the sequel to Something Borrowed.  I particulary like this passage, along with many others, because of how Giffin writes her details. Her interesting use of combining periodic sentences and running sentences, as well as, her use of verb style helps to explain the scene of what is happening to the character. As she enters a room full of people, who are throwing her a suprise baby shower, Giffin writes the experience of being caught off guard well as she creates vivid imagery for the reader in order to understand how one minute she was thinking about the meeting she was about to enter and the next she was faced with a rush of chaos:

"And there before was the entire staff of Carolyn Morgan and Associates, all packed into the room, yelling 'Suprise!' and hurling thier heartiest congratulations at me from all directions. A gigantic blue box from Tiffany perched on one end of the lacquered table. An ivory frosted cake with pink gel writing sat temptingly at the other. My heart raced. Talk about your audiences! Talk about your drama!"

I love how Giffin writes this scene. It's almost as if you, the reader, are there in that moment and you can see all of these things appearing in front of you. Giffin does this a lot throughout her writing. She has a creative way of drawing the reader in and making you feel like you are the one going through the experiences of the characters.

Imitaion: This is not going to be nearly as good, but I will do my best:

I began to read my notes and prepared for the tidious meeting about to take place. As I opened the door and flipped the light I suddenly found my notes flying out of my hands. My heart began to race and butterflies began to form in my stomach as the entire staff of Carolyn Morgan and Associates shouted, "Suprise!" Before I knew it three girls were running towards me, flinging thier arms open. The room was filled with streamers and balloons, pink and blue linens covered the tables with pink and blue napkins folded so delicately. A small blue box with an elegant ribbion sat on one end of the table while. A three tiered blue-iced cake with pink gel writing sat on the other, calling my name. Talk about a suprise! Talk about your staff! Talk about your chaos!

No comments:

Post a Comment