Monday, April 2, 2012

Cliche Gumbo

I would rather burn out than fade away, I would rather be saved by criticism than ruined by praise, I would rather learn everything about something than something about everything.

I like all of these for various reasons but on a style level, they are also magnificent. The best way to cliche is in a low style. The use of oppositions and especially chisamus is also always effective when crafting a cliche (I did not make these but they are variations of things hve heard before). The persuasion isn't really tacit because the binaries literally state the hypotaxis, the fact that one is a better choise than the other. Trimble would want a stronger (clearer) thesis, multiple drafts, and some quality evidence to come next and say why the one is better than the other. Truss would shit herself because I feel she feels she is above cliches, and Crystal would engage me in a discusion of the etymology of these cliches and the words that make them. Adios has some odd name for using cliches but I don't know what. Sometimes a cliche is annoying only because it is so goddamn true (and obvious).

No comments:

Post a Comment