Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oldie Goodie Quickie

"Don't quote me boy, I ain't said shit" - Eric "Eazy E" Wright I like this line because it is so often quoted, and it implies a sort of self-important sense that Eazy thinks he is quite quotable. It says, don't quote me because what I say is not important. And others have responded by quoting the very line, numerous times and in a variety of ways, for the last two decades. I always wonder how prescient Eazy E may have been, toying with people by saying something he knew would reverse psychologize everyone and cause the opposite of the request, "don't quote me". Then I remember he was a rapper, that this is a rap song about chillin' in the 'hood, and that Eazy was into a lot of things, likely not including caring about any of this at all. The line might have just come to him as a clever way to complete the hook for the song. Don't quote me on it. I thought it would be interesting to revisit my first Parole post - RIGHT QUICK. It might not be interesting but here it is anyway. I still agree with myself that: "I like this line because it is so often quoted, and it implies a sort of self-important sense that Eazy thinks he is quite quotable. It says, don't quote me because what I say is not important. And others have responded by quoting the very line, numerous times and in a variety of ways, for the last two decades." I also agree with the rest, more or less, but I would certainly write the whole thing differently, if for no other reason than I am not who I was then. I also have more words to use to talk about it. Hey Liz, it worked! So this is definitely low-style. Also a verb-style for certain. It has a tacit persuasion, which is where I came up with the "don't quote me because what I say is not important" interpretation (although it doesn't seem all that tacit, but he never says what he means outright). The punctuation, a.k.a. hieroglyphics, are mine, it would be interesting to see if in the early 90s Eazy E used commas and apostrophes when writing his lyrics. I am sure there is a lot more to say, but I have had enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment