Monday, January 23, 2012

Advice via Tech Comm.

The sentence that captivated me was from my Tech Comm. textbook, Communicating Design: Developing Web Site Documentation for Design and Planning, by Dan M. Brown.

"The moment your challenges change and the tools becomes insufficient for capturing your ideas, drop it and learn something new" (8).

The reason it captivated is because about adaptability, ultimately, and the resolution to the problem of adapting to new circumstances in life that we all have to face would seem to be a complicated one. However, the author's suggestion to solving this problem (though he is only talking about web design, I still thought it was good bit of advice to apply to life) is blunt and simple: Drop it and learn something new.

I think I noticed it and held on to it so much is because at the time I was reading this book, my little brother had come to me asking for advice about women (forever more, hang me). He told me of how his lady friend wasn't impressed with his weekly rose offerings as she used to be. I tried to explain to him that stuff gets old and he has to change it up every once in a while, but he didn't get it. This sentence cleared it all up for him...well, me really because I didn't have to explain it to him anymore.

Imitation: Challenges are everchanging, so the tools you use to meet those challenges are everchanging, requiring you to donate old tools and buy new ones.

I tried to make the sentence more universal and obvious that it was speaking about the challenges in life. I didn't think the bit about "the moment" challenges change was necessary, and I thought the sentence would be dramatical and hooking if it began with "challenges."

No comments:

Post a Comment