Monday, January 30, 2012

Reservation at Del Frisco's; Order the Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

"they have bones reinforced with naturally occurring carbon fiber." - Col. Quarich,  Avatar.

           In the context of style this quote, from much loved film Avatar, is like a high end steak house serving a McDonald's Quarter Pounder with Cheese in addition to their thick, juicy, tender, and cooked meats.  The style of the movie Avatar can be generally described as mind blowing, creative, and imaginative.  The style of this description of the made up planet's species is unthoughtful, lazy, and absolutely unimaginative.  It contradicts everything this movie represents with its creative style.  Obviously, I myself cannot say definitively that an alien species would not have bones that are reinforced with a completely unnaturally occurring invention of human beings, however, I can definitely say that using carbon fiber as a natural trait in a completely made up world took no creative effort.  For me, this one single line from this film makes the rest of its mind blowing creativity lose some of its effectiveness.  Similar to the way that food leaves a lingering taste in your mouth after you have eaten it.  Only, I chose to see Avatar so that I could be left with the delicious linger of fresh creativity in my mind.  I was served all the delicious experiences I wanted except for the quick, cheap, and easy Quarter Pounder with Cheese which, for some reason, James Cameron sinfully let sit on the same plate as my fillet.  After hearing this line everything in this film began to taste more like a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, and less like the fillet I came for.

No comments:

Post a Comment