Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Eazy Duz It

"Don't quote me boy, I ain't said shit" - Eric "Eazy E" Wright
I like this line because it is so often quoted, and it implies a sort of self-important sense that Eazy thinks he is quite quotable. It says, don't quote me because what I say is not important. And others have responded by quoting the very line, numerous times and in a variety of ways, for the last two decades. I always wonder how prescient Eazy E may have been, toying with people by saying something he knew would reverse psychologize everyone and cause the opposite of the request, "don't quote me". Then I remember he was a rapper, that this is a rap song about chillin' in the 'hood, and that Eazy was into a lot of things, likely not including caring about any of this at all. The line might have just come to him as a clever way to complete the hook for the song. Don't quote me on it.

1 comment:

  1. A thought has occurred to me in regard to this line. I have never seen it written (aside from the few times I have seen "people" on the internet "write" it - where each is unique but all commonly contain the letters z and the like). What if he (Eazy) meant it to be, "Don't quote me boy: I ain't said shit", without the comma? Or maybe, "...boy (I ain't said shit)"? Or, "Don't quote me boy" Said Eazy.
    "I ain't" said shit.
    The possibilities are endless (though some of these are more likely than others). I will have to listen the whole song for context in order to select the best possible option.
    Oh Eazy E, you wordsmith!

    ReplyDelete